The email reads as follows:
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Skype [email protected](dot)net
Date: Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Subject: Skype Releases : Upgrade New Skype 2011 For PC And MAC
NEW SKYPE 2011 RELEASES
This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype. Following are major new features:
– Talk more for free via Voice Over IP (VoIP)
– Lower cost when connecting to landlines (much cheaper than Calling Card)
– Record your conversation (better than telephone quality)
– Instant messaging & file-sharing, video calls
– Now available on PSP!
To check and upgrade, go to Skype Updates Center or copy this link to your web browser:
Skype has changed the way we think of telecommunications.
Thank you for choosing us.
With best regards,
Copy rights Skype 2011 – All Rights Reserved
Some things to note:
1) The email claims to be from “Skype”, instead of “some guys with a website or whatever”.
2) “New feature: now available on PSP”. I’ve had it on a PSP for a long time, actually. Yeah, this isn’t really relevant but I’m a pedant.
3) “Skype has changed the way…” [blah blah blah] …”thank you for choosing us”, again reinforcing the notion that these people might actually be Skype themselves.
4) “Skype updates center”. Official sounding, isn’t it?
5) Signing off as “Skype Support”? Oh boy.
Not something I’ll be signing up for anytime soon…